Let me be the first to say that I am not a catcher of many fish, but I have caught fish in many places including:
- the mighty Zambezi River (where I hooked a hippo);
- Lake Kariba, with its spoon flinging tigers and tasty bream;
- the Okavango river – big 2 spot bream and tiger there;
- Henties Baai in Namibia where I caught a 6kg steenbras
- Kosi Bay where I caught zilch, twice
- Coffee Bay where we ate the bait (squid)
- Tofu, Mocambique for barracuda and an amazing display of big sea fish like black marlin, sailfish and whaleshark
- A dorado from a boat off Umhlanga Rocks
- Blue cod off Oamaru in New Zealand
- Trout in the NZ high country lakes
- A 50kg guitarfish in Moreton Bay, Queensland
Not to forget a few barbel and bluegills in Swaziland waters.
Well I am about to broaden my horizon and maybe my bragging rights – on Sunday I leave for Fraser Island. The tailor (Australian for shad) run up the coast to spawn there and it is apparently good fishing.
The only problem will be if you have to be good to catch fish…!
Don’t hold your breath.
My wife has unselfishly declined to come, as have the 3 other wives of our party, so we will bravely cook for ourselves.
Excitement bubbles have been controlled by repeated fishing tackle inspections and casting practices.
We are easily moved!!